While neither written by nor about Adventists, the following 5 essays on Christian nonviolence may be informative for SDAs considering issues of peace advocacy, military participation or social change:
- Christian Nonviolence (Walter Wink, Z Net, Dec 17, 2004). Wink is the author of Jesus and Nonviolence, Engaging the Power, Unmasking the Powers, & Naming the Powers.
- God’s People Reconciling (Ron Sider, Mennonite World Conference, 1984). Ron is the author of Non-Violence, Churches That Make a Difference, & Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger.
- Five Characteristics of Early Christian Nonviolence (Thom Stark, n.d.).
- The Gospel of Reconciliation within the Wrath of Nations (David W. Shenk, International Bulletin of Missionary Research, 32 no 1 Jan 2008, p 3-6, 8-9). This is only available to Ebsco users. Shenk authored or edited Jesus Matters, A Muslim and A Christian in Dialogue, & Anabaptists Meeting Muslims.
- A Call for Evangelical Nonviolence (Ron Sider, Christian Century, Sep 15, 1976, pp. 753-757).
There are many more, but to me these form a pretty good foundation. And now, twenty-two bonus links:
Bonus 6 — Courageous Nonviolence (Ron Sider, Christianity Today, Dec. 19, 2007)
Bonus 7 — Peacemaker Ministries
Bonus 8 — Orthodox Peace Fellowship — Quotes
Bonus 9 — Love Your Enemies — Quotes
Bonus 10 — Adventist Peace Fellowship
Bonus 11 — Peace & Justice Support Network (Mennonite)
Bonus 12 — Muslim Peace Fellowship
Bonus 13 — Jewish Peace Fellowship
Bonus 14 — Buddhist Peace Fellowship
Bonus 15 — Catholic Peace Fellowship
Bonus 16 — Pax Christi (Catholic)
Bonus 17 — Baptist Peace Fellowship
Bonus 18 — Lutheran Peace Fellowship
Bonus 19 — Disciples Peace Fellowship
Bonus 20 — Unitarian Univeralist Peace Fellowship
Bonus 21 — Episcopal Peace Fellowship
Bonus 22 — Presbyterian Peace Fellowship