What is ADRA doing in the Ukraine? (ADRA Canada, 29 July 2014; link)
ADRA is supporting people displaced by fighting from the eastern part of Ukraine. This assistance includes hygiene kits, clothes, socks and underwear, disposable tableware, towels, and napkins. ADRA is also helping to transport displaced families from conflict zones to temporary IDP camps.
Reformed Adventist Movement Responds to German Union Conferences (AToday, 28 July 2014; link)
Adventist Today has the exclusive opportunity to publish a seven-point statement from Reformed Adventist leaders in response to the statement of the German union conferences. The statement begins with an expression of “appreciation” for points in the statement from the German union conferences. It also explains why the separation occurred in the past, asserting that “the faithful Adventists who protested starting in August 1914 were not motivated by personal ambition, time-setting, dreams, or fanaticism … nor had they rejected the fundamental principles of the church.”
Adventist Community Services Responds to Fires in Washington (AToday, 24 July 2014; link).
Record forest fires across the State of Washington in America’s northwest have resulted in more than 250,000 burned over acres of wilderness and the loss of hundreds of homes. To help people who have lost everything, Adventist Community Services (ACS), the disaster relief agency sponsored by the Seventh-day Adventist denomination and registered with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the American Red Cross is operating warehouse in Okanogan to supply emergency needs.
U.S. Adventist church opens doors to community after wildfire (ANN, 23 July 2014; link).
The Brewster Seventh-day Adventist Church in the Northwestern U.S. state of Washington opened its doors to serve those affected by the Carlton Complex fire only hours after the church building itself was threatened by the flames of what has become the largest wildfire in state history.
Older stories and resources:
- Permaculture as Spirituality (Chase, Spectrum)
- Chris Blake on Why He Is Neither Conservative Nor Liberal (Byrd, Spectrum)
- Jesus and the Social Outcasts (Burton, Spectrum)
- Viewpoint: GYC Presentation Promotes Damaging Message About Gay Youth (Cruz, Spectrum)
- GYC Presenter Offers Public Apology (Carducci, Spectrum)
- 3 Angles News – Adventists Combat Female Genital Mutilation (Dietrich, Spectrum)
- The “good news” of slavery? (Bell, Year Without God)
- Sabbath Sermon: Sigve Tonstad, “Rites or Rights: Sabbath and Justice in the Prophets” (Spectrum)
- Sabbath Sermon: Sigve Tonstad, “‘Or the Resident Alien in Your Towns’: Sabbath and
- Justice in the Commandments” (Spectrum)
- “Country Living” by David Westbrook (YouTube)